Saturday, October 11, 2014

6 Skin & Hair Saviors To Get You Through Fall

Fall is all about transition. We swap bare legs for tights, sandals for booties and start layering for chilly evenings. I've always found that this time of year my hair and skin needs more transition time too. I'm not ready to completely swap out my daily skincare for the heavier, creamer products I use in winter, but my summer staples begin to lose their luster. These easy swaps and additions make all the difference in extending that summer glow and preparing you for the cold months ahead.

clockwise from top left: Oribe Gold Lust / Eucerin Skin Calming Body Wash
Oscar Blandi Dry Styling Heat Protect Spray / Avon Moisture Therapy Calming Relief Lotion
Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask / Jurlique Skin Balancing Face Oil

Skin:
I'm not quite ready to slather my face in the heavier oils and creams that I adore in winter just yet but the onset of chilly air can leave me feeling a bit parched and flaky. Enter Jurlique's Skin Balancing face oil. Add a drop or two to your moisturizer before you go to bed and you'll wake up with a happy, balanced and flake-free face. (FYI - this bottle will last for-ev-er.)

While I still stand by my once a week Peter Thomas Roth addiction for clear, glowy skin I've noticed that after a weekend of celebrating (I blame you, Champagne) my skin looks a little lackluster and puffy. Twenty minutes with Tata Harper's Resurfacing Mask will make everything right again. Do it at night and add one drop of the Jurlique oil to your moisturizer before bed and you'll be thanking me in the morning.

Body:
In the winter I have a mad love affair with Kiehl's Creme de Corps. So much so, that I don't mind how exhausting it is to use. Think 3 extra minutes of rubbing it in after every shower. I've tried their lightweight body lotion but it's just not the same. One day I was out of town and had a travel size of Avon's Moisture Therapy lotion with oatmeal to use. Oh heavens! This stuff is amazing. It's fragrance-free, sinks into skin instantly and leaves you perfectly moisturized in under a minute. It's also crazy cheap. You can get the 25oz. with pump for about $10.

A few month's back I read an article on Amy Adams in Allure where she sang the praises of Eucerin's Skin Calming Body Wash for shaving. It instantly became a mainstay in my shower primarily because I have extremely sensitive skin (on my body) that could break out in hives or bumps with most body washes and shaving creams. It's an oil so be sure to shake the bottle before using. It is luxurious and your skin will literally feel like cashmere. I now (like Amy) stockpile this in case it is ever discontinued.

Hair:
If you know me IRL, you know that I only wash my hair every 3-4 days. In the summer I end up washing it more due to sun, humidity and sweat and this ends up leaving my strands a bit parched come fall. Oribe's Gold Lust can be used multiple ways to get your strands back to their happy place. Use this lightweight oil before styling on damp hair to increase softness and reduce frizz or post-blowdry for sun protection and to increase shine. One to two pumps is all you need. You can even use it as an overnight treatment (3-4 pumps) - just be sure to shampoo it out in the morning.

Since I only wash my hair twice a week, there is a bit of heat styling going on. I always use a heat protectant (like the Gold Lust) on damp hair but what about two days later? It never occurred to me that my thermal protectant probably wouldn't still be working. Oscar Blandi's Dry Styling Heat Protect Spray is utter perfection that won't dampen your strands or weigh hair down before using your curling wand.



3 comments:

  1. I found the Eucerin oil a few years ago and it's my go to cleanser in the fall/winter. It's smells terrible but it works so well I don't even care how it smells (and the smell doesn't linger after anyway so who cares?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing...Shibani turned me on to Swell Skin (available at Heinen's) and it's amazing. Give it a try instead of the Jurlique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very worry in running winter for such products. But come from your blog, I have found some skin care, hair and body caring products, Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...