Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Midweek Morsel - Shanghai Style Chilean Sea Bass

**Congrats to Crystal who is the winner of 2 tickets (and cocktails!) to SPANK! The Fifty Shades Parody at PlayhouseSquare this Sunday. Show runs tomorrow through 1/27 and tickets are $10-$45**


Welcome to Midweek Morsel, my new series in which I'll share some of my favorite go-to dinners that are easy to prepare and quick to get on the table for those midweek work nights.

First up: Shanghai Style Chilean Sea Bass. Over a Friday night happy hour at Light Bistro we struck up conversation with the couple next to us who just so happened to live down the street from us. The gentleman said that after working as a photographer for American Greetings his entire life he has 'retired' into a job as fish monger at Classic Seafood at the West Side Market. Which then made us realize where we'd seen him before. This meeting snared us 2 pounds of sea bass, which is 1 pound too many for the two of us and sent me searching for a new recipe since it looked like we'd be eating fish two nights in a row.

Shanghai Style Chilean Seabass
Shanghai Style Chilean Sea Bass

What You'll Need:
Rice - sticky/white - I was out of sushi rice so I used basmati
1 bag baby spinach
1 lb. sea bass
sesame seeds - handful
2-3 scallions (green parts only)
salt, pepper, ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
Ponzu sauce

To Make:
Sprinkle fish with salt, pepper and ginger. Place in a bamboo steamer or steam basket and steam about 15 mins. Check for doneness.
Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
Wilt spinach by placing 1 tablespoon olive oil in a med-high skillet and add 1 clove minced garlic. Cook garlic for about 30 seconds. Add spinach in large handfuls, adding more as it wilts down. Cook just until all the spinach starts to wilt and remove immediately from burner. Season with pepper.
Place rice in the center of a large bowl and surround it w/ hot spinach. Set cooked fish on top of rice. Ladle Ponzu over top of the fish and around spinach. Garnish w/ sesame seeds and scallions.

*note - I didn't realize we were out of Ponzu until I got home from the market, so I made my own using this recipe:

mix together:
1/3 cup soy sauce
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil



Enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. mmm, I love chilean sea bass! thanks for the DIY ponzu recipe as well. going to have to try this! and p.s. love the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this new series idea! I am always on the hunt for quick recipes so I don't have to sacrifice good food/home cooked food on weeknights! We have some swordfish now that I may try this on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great new series! I love sea bass and this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! My husband is crazy about Sea Bass so I may need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jen + love this series! Cannot wait to stalk your recipes and try them out.
    Have a great weekend!
    -Becky
    The Pumpkin Spot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to the recipes! I would love more seafood recipes. For some reason, I am afraid to cook any seafood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...