Monday, November 19, 2012

7 Reasons A Lake Erie Monsters Game is A Must


As a part of today's Ohio Blogging Association's All State Blog Swap, I'm happy to introduce you to the lovely Julie from Am I There Yet?. On this day, bloggers from around the state of Ohio are guest posting on one another's blogs as a way to help to get to know one another in our blogging community. Be sure to check out Julie's blog for my post today and to read up on her funny and endearing musings on her personal journey to fit, healthy and happy. For a full listing of blog swap participants, please visit Poise in Parma today.



First a big thank you to Smitten In Cleveland for sharing her space on the interwebs for this months blog swap! It has given me a chance to share something that I am smitten with as well and I am so excited to guest post for her! 

Cleveland is home of great professional sports and I could not care less about what any Cavs hating, Browns booing, Indians heckling, Cleveland hater has to say about it. I love our Cleveland sports teams! I held Cavs season tickets for 5 years, will actually ask if the Browns won (though that is about as far as my football watching goes), and I will hit several Indians games every summer.

But what about the teams that play downtown when the Cavs are away? Who entertains Cleveland sports fans when the Browns hit the road? Well, you’ve got a couple of options actually. Surprised? Don’t be. There are still teams to cheer your heart out for when the big dogs are away. 

Case in point: The Lake Erie Monsters. 

Um, hockey? Do people watch hockey? Aren’t they on strike… again? Yes, they are. The NHL is on strike, but the American Hockey League ready to kick some butt! So my brother, a huge hockey fan, picked up some tickets for us on Friday night. Here I learned why I should have hit a Monsters game a long time ago, and here is why you should check out a game ASAP:



A reason to go downtown that you never considered before – Not that I need a reason to hang out downtown, but if you have jammed to enough Pittbull on West 6th and already lost your shirt at the Horseshoe, you might be thinking, What can we do tonight? How about Mexican at Zocalo followed by a Monsters game? You can hit 4th Street and head to the Q for something a little different. 

Affordable sports-outing fun – So I can’t do anything about the price of beer, even though I am always willing to spring for some beers at a sporting event, but the price of tickets will make you just as happy. For the same price as a corner seat in section 206 of the upper bowl of a Cavs game, my brother and I sat front row, right on the glass. Nose to nose with every shoulder check that the Monsters were ready to deliver. My brother, the genius he is, even called ahead for our tickets and specifically requested the corner where Lake Erie would be scoring twice. So we were set to see the maximum amount of Monsters slap shots. 



More fights than in MMA – Maybe in UFC you could see better knock outs, but at this Monster’s game I saw some pretty wild blows to the jaw. Fighting and hockey, something’s never change. The best part is watching the build up. It all starts with a good hit on the glass followed by some trash talk. Then before you know it the gloves are off and its like a 2am bar fight. I love a good game, but I love a good fight as well and at a Monsters game, there were plenty. 

3 quarters, 2 half times! – Each quarter is 18 minutes. But don’t worry, if you need to get up for a bathroom break and to grab another beer, never fear! You don’t have to miss a single second of the action. There is an 18 minute intermission between each quarter. Plenty of time to walk the concourse, hit the team shop, or concession stand. And the quarters move fast with excitement, no long time-outs or excessive fouling to stop the clock. Hockey just moves, moves moves! 

Everything you need to entertain a dude – Sports, athleticism, and even some violence. A skimpy-dressed dance team and your choice of beer. The perfect boy’s night out. But I like all those things too. So, girl’s night?



Slow scoring, but close games – You aren’t going to see a score board in the hundreds, but it seems the game is always close. I was on the edge of my seat the entire game. Monsters were up and then we were down. We fought back hard and with each goal, a fog horn sounded for each point. There was a lot of enthusiasm in the crowd and fans cheered as hard for the Monsters as they do for a major league team. Each play was a celebration. 

Sudden death OT! – At the end of the 3rd quarter the Monsters and the Grand Rapids Griffins were tied at 5 to 5. I have sat through double and triple overtime at 11:30 on a Tuesday at a Cavs game and sometimes I’d be so tired by the end I was ready for it to be over. Not in Hockey. When a team is tied at the end the game goes into sudden death overtime. Each team has 5 minutes to make a goal. First one to score wins. With a minute and 12 seconds left, the Griffins scored and that was it. Monsters had lost. They do not play out the remaining minute. It’s sudden death. And though the outcome was disappointing, the final minutes were so exciting!

You may have gone to a Monsters game before. If that’s the case, I say go again! Support our team and have a good time. If you haven’t had the chance to check out a hockey game, it is a definite must. So mark your calendar now! Check out the Lake Erie Monsters calendar here.



6 comments:

  1. I have never been to a Monsters game! Putting it on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're hoping to make it to a game this season. They even have a kids club and a chance for kids to get out and skate with the players. My kids would love that.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monsters games are fun! We are having my 10 year (yikes) high school reunion there in December!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hockey is my favorite sport to watch live. Every once and while growing up, my parents would take us to a Buffalo Sabres game. Even though we were in the nose bleeds, I loved the experince. I finally went to my first Monster's games last season, and my love for hockey was rekindled (it also helped that it was 90s night)! I'll definitely be heading back to the Q this season!

    Even though tickets are quite affordable, every once and a while there are online deals (Groupon, etc) so keep your eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hockey - the pace, the excitement - the fights are a reason it will never compete as a major sport in the US, but I loved playing, and the Monster ticket prices are reasonable, you can go to several games each season. Won't be long before CavsDan turns his attention to them, then look out. Great piece Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! When I moved to Cleveland, I was sad to leave behind my Philadelphia Flyers. But I love watching the Monsters and the fact I can afford a seat right on the ice is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...