Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Holy Grail - Kenra Dry Shampoo

Welcome to my sew series, Holy Grail. This is the place where I'll be sharing my most coveted finds that have made it to my HG list. To qualify for this list, a product must exceed my expectations to the point of bliss, usually after trying countless others. It's a can't-live-without item that I keep a back stock on and will surely lose my mind if it's discontinued. (First world problems, I know)
If possible, I will note other products I tried and tested before finding the HG item and offer some suggestions based on price or skin/hair type.

First up:

Kenra Platinum Dry Shampoo $22 for 5oz



I'm a dry shampoo girl. This is a must have product for me. Extend your blowout by one or two days, freshen up your locks after a sweaty workout or add a bit of texture and fullness for an updo. Just spray some onto your greasy roots, wait a few mins and brush out. I like to give a quick hit with the blow dryer for added volume.

For years I used Ojon Rub Out. It was my previous HG. Until they changed the packaging and formula. Why???  Ugh! It wasn't the same and sent me on the hunt once again.

Finally out of desperation,  I contacted a friend who does PR in the beauty business and asked for her recommendations. I've tried almost everything out there. Is there something I missed? And she sent along a bottle of Kenra. Hello, lover.

Why it's perfect:
- smells amazing
- powerful spray and even distribution
- provides long lasting volume and hold
-doesn't completely dull your hair
-powerful enough for extremely thick hair (this will give you glorious volume!)
-also comes in a 1.5oz travel size ( I will not travel w/o dry shampoo)
-contains a UV Defense Duo to protect against color fade
-lasts forever (the bottle and the results) You will wake up the day after using this and have the most insanely gorgeous, full hair.


Others I've tried:
Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder (4.4oz $35) This was my first years ago and while I liked the texture and volume, it has pigment and so every time I'd run my hand through my hair I would end up with colored powder on my fingers.

Oscar Blandi Pronto (3.2oz $23) I have no idea how this works because I couldn't get over the old-lady like smell. It does have a hint of lemon, but that didn't help.

Ojon Full Detox Rub-Out (4.1oz $24) Like I said earlier, this was my original fave. Before they added the 'full detox' label and Soap Bark Tree. Now it's stinky and doesn't perform as well. Blah.

Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray (8.5oz $39) My love for Oribe knows no bounds and some of their other hair products (Supershine Creme) have earned HG status. This was just not meant to be a dry shampoo. And it isn't. It's a texturizing spray and is best not used on the roots. But is a very lovely product.

Rene Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo (3.2oz $24) Mid to late '90s I was OBSESSED with Rene Furterer hair care. Smelling this brought back so many wonderful memories and it's actually quite a great product. But Sephora stopped carrying the brand and I kind of forgot about it. I would definitely repurchase if they discontinued the Kenra. Almost as good, but not quite.

John Frieda Luxurious Volume Refresher (3.5oz $6) This is my only drugstore pick. Still not as good as the Kenra, but a cheap alternative and will work much better for someone with fine or medium hair. Doesn't last throughout the entire day (or into the next) but good in a pinch.

TRESemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo (5.7oz $5) Put it right back on the shelf. It's that bad. Really, don't even bother.



Wanted To Try But Never Got Around To It:
Serge Normant Meta Revive  (4.5oz $25)
SACHAJUAN Volume Powder (6.8oz $32)


Do you use dry shampoo? Do you have a Holy Grail one?



::Disclosure - I was provided a bottle of Kenra Dry Shampoo at no cost to me. I immediately ran out and bought 2 more after using it::

10 comments:

  1. As a lady with fine hair, I've been searching endlessly for a great dry shampoo. I'm buying this pronto! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. You will love it. A little goes a long way and remember to shake it well before using.

      Delete
  2. As I try to grow out my hair, I've been really bummed at how often I have to wash it now. And then dry it. SIGH...what a drag! (And LONG GONE are the days of the 1990s "piece-y pixie" for those of us who thrived on the "lots of product look."

    So is this product only available online? Or is it something I can pick up at Sephora or Nordstrom?

    Side note: I like that you're adding a "holy grail" series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It's avail at Ulta or local salons.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried dry shampoo but have slowly been looking into it. This blog post might have sold me on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try dry shampoo. I will give this a try. I took your advice on Murad face lotion (a couple of months ago, I believe) and I've been a happy camper! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dry shampoo! I have grown a little tired of my current brand, though (I have been using big sexy hair or whatever that brand is) and I like it, but it leaves my hair feeling a little more residue-y and less volumized. I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try dry shampoo.... right now I wash my hair almost every day. Something I really don't need to be doing. Also that means I don't have time to blow dry it so it always just looks a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AG has a good product - Fast FWD. also available at Ulta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dry shampoo virgin here! my hair has always been short so I would have to wash it everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...