Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Must - Cinema At The Square



Movies are always a summer-must. When those temps reach up into the 90s I want nothing to do with the sun. Don't even sit me by a window. Draw the shades and put on a film. Even better, head to the theatre. August 2nd through 19th you can catch a flick at the most gorgeous theater in town.


This year, Playhouse Square celebrates the 15th annual Cinema at the Square series (and I think this is their best lineup yet.) What better way to escape the heat. Iconic films in a classic theatre at a great price. Tickets are only $5 and are half off when you purchase a FlixTIX Pass for $15 getting you 6 movie vouchers.


Here are my must-see films: (a complete listing can be found here)


August 2nd - West Side Story (sing-a-long)


August 3rd - The Godfather


August 4th - Breakfast at Tiffany's


August 9th - Rear Window

August 10th - Rebel Without a Cause


August 11th - Casablanca & Some Like it Hot




August 16th - The Maltese Falcon


August 17th - An American in Paris





Are any of your favorites showing?



{images via playhousesquare.org}

10 comments:

  1. I just recently saw Review Window and must be the only person alive who thought it was boring! I thought the best part was looking at Grace Kelly - gorgeous! I would like to see Rebel without a Cause - never saw that one and James Dean is so dreamy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite things about Cleveland! I love Cinema on the Square and agree this year is one of their best line-ups. Gone With the Wind has been my favorite film since middle school and I love seeing it on the big screen. In fact, about ten years ago I saw it at Cinema on the Square with my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "Nana" took me to see Gone With The Wind when I was 11. I can still remember watching the movie in one of the old movie theaters (like Cinema on the Square). Best time ever for a hot Saturday downtown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal!! What??? I'll watch Rear Window with you & I'll point out all of the Hitchcock touches. haha I love Hitchcock! I will say that I've seen West Side Story over 100 times and I still cry at the end. I love that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series and look forward to it each Summer! Unfortunately, many of these movies are repeats that I've already seen at the Palace in recent years. However, there are still a few that I've yet to see on the big screen. I intend to change that!

    A friend & I saw "Giant" and "East of Eden" as part of Cinema on the Square in past years. So, "Rebel Without a Cause" will allow us to finish out our James Dean collection.

    I would recommend everyone arrive early to these shows. Part of the charm is listening to the organist play live tunes before the start of the movie. The classic cartoons shown just before the feature film are another nice touch- and allowed me to discover The Ant & the Ardvark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The organ is one of my favorite parts! The restoration job they did on it is beautiful.

      Breakfast at Tiffany's is on my top 3 list of all-time favorite movies, but it and An American in Paris (love Gene Kelly) are both playing when I'm out of town.

      However, I'll hopefully see everyone at the West Side Story Sing-Along - PlayhouseSquare Partners is hosting a party that evening before the show.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this reminder!! I just added the West Side Story sing-a-long to my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really hoping to see Casablanca! Here's looking at you kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was on of the first things I did after moving to Cleveland so it will always hold a special place in my heart! I really need to check out some of these movies, I've only seen two of those listed above. *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes yes yes!! This is SOOO cool. I'd also love if they had this during the dreary dismal cold months. Such a fun thing to do on a rainy, cold day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...