Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Layered Mani- Gelish Water Field over Shellac Asphalt

A few months ago my manicurist gave my girlfriend Jen this amazing manicure. It was heavily glittered (something I never had the nerve to try) and I spend the entire day holding her hand and looking into those gorgeous nails. (Weird, yes, I know!)

I was mesmerized. I dreamed of the day when I could be so daring as to pull something like this off. Luckily for me, New Years Eve was right around the corner and I vowed to try something completely out of my comfort zone. So last Friday I had Sarah recreate the look for me using 1 coat of Gelish Water Field over 2 coats Shellac Asphalt.

Shellac Asphalt + Gelish Water Field (natural light)
In the photo below you can see a bit better the Water Field has all different size sparkle particles. The larger ones have a holograph like quality and pick up of shades of red, blue and green.


Shellac Asphalt + Gelish Water Field - artificial light
My nails turned out exactly as I wanted and were perfect for the New Year's festivities. What surprised me though, was how seriously over the sparkle I was the very next day. I guess old habits die hard and if you're a frequent reader of this blog, you know that I'm a creme polish kind of girl. I love the look of glitter and shimmery nails on other people, just not myself.

I'm the girl that has 30 Essie polishes all in slight variations of pale pink. I am a fan a big bright pinks, deep purples, all shades of grey and blue, but not glitter. This year I found the perfect red in Shellac Decadence, check it out here, and every time my fingers popped out of a glove or from beneath a sleeve I was excited at how gorgeous the color was (even after 2 weeks).

Every time I see my uber-glittered hand now, I get slightly startled. Maybe I should have started with just the ring fingers.

All this being said, it was exactly what I asked for and Sarah did a magnificent job, as always. The concept worked perfectly for exactly one night. My problem is that this mani will last another 2 weeks. So I will be attempting to paint over it with regular polish. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you're a glitter lover, though, this is the perfect decadent, disco ball manicure. I'd love to see it. Just not on my own hand.



3 comments:

  1. I love how they turned out! I agree with you about glitter though. I also hate how damn hard it is to get off your nails (even if it's regular old nail polish.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, totally forgot about that! I'll be soaking forever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Totally worth the marathon soaking. I have the Shellac Asphalt on now and I'm wishing I had the glitter over it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...