Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cocktail Of The Day & Christmas Dinner

Happy first day of Winter! While the calendar finally says it's here, Mother Nature just doesn't seem convinced. I'm sick of the rain. For the record, snow doesn't mess up party hair like rain does. So there.

I'm celebrating today with the Winter Solstice Cocktail. After all the heavy cocktails as of late, this is perfectly festive and refreshing for a holiday party. And it won't stain your clothes or your teeth!

Winter Solstice Cocktail
  • 1 1/2 ounces orange vodka
  • 1/2 ounce orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau
  • 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice   
  • Ice cubes
  • Club soda, chilled
  • 1 mint leaf 
  • 1 raspberry 

  • In a cocktail shaker, combine vodka, orange liqueur, lemon juice, and ice; shake until well combined. Strain into a chilled glass filled with ice or chilled martini glass; add a splash of soda. Carefully fold mint leaf in half lengthwise and place the stem end into the opening of the raspberry. Float on top of cocktail and serve immediately.

  • Christmas Dinner
  •  This year I'm switching things up a bit from my usual menu and recreating some of the dishes we enjoyed at Emerging Chefs Prohibition Dinner. Last year I swapped out my beef tenderloin for lamb and this year we're going back to beef but adding lobster. I will most definitely be paying for all this indulgence next week at the gym, but right now I'm soaking all the holiday yumminess in. 


Lobster Vol Au Vent via userealbutter

  • Am I crazy for attempting this on a holiday? Quite possibly. Am I crazy enough to try to make puff pastry from scratch? Not a chance. Pepperidge Farms, here I come.

Chateaubriand with Bearnaise Sauce via eprimecuts

And it wouldn't be a holiday in our house (or a Sunday for that matter) without sprouts.

Roasted Bacon, Shallot Brussels Sprouts via australianfood

  •  What's on your Holiday menu? Do you keep the same traditions year to year?

6 comments:

  1. My family does a traditional Eastern European Christmas Eve dinner: breaded fish, mashed potatoes, creamed peas. It's called Poor Man's Meal.

    Your dinner sounds amazing! Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all my favorite things! fish, potatoes, peas...yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how light and refreshing that cocktail sounds...I love my Christmas Ale but man does it weigh me down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @rachael - I hear ya. I wish it detoxed too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of this sounds delicious! How did it come out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fantastic! I'll post some pics on FB later today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...