Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream & Christmas Ale Ice Cream

We had so many enormous butternut squashes from the Fresh Fork that I was running out of ideas. I made a squash soup last winter that relied heavily on apples, and while quite good, it just wasn't hearty enough for me to attempt to serve to the husband for dinner. I took it to work and we sipped it out of coffee cups.
My search for the perfect recipe took me to my favorite website (and app), Epicurious. I found a recipe from Bon Appetit circa 1998. This soup turned out so well that it is now in permanent rotation in our house. That's an understatement. It's TO DIE FOR!


Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream

Serves 10

  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
  • 2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
  • 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
  • 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider
  • 2/3 cup sour cream


  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • Chopped fresh chives

squash, leeks, carrot, celery


Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash,
leeks, carrot and celery; sauté until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
Mix in apples, thyme and sage. Add stock and 1 cup cider and bring to boil.
 Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until apples are tender,
stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly.

Working in batches, puree soup in blender. (I just used an immersion blender right in the pot) Return soup to pan. Boil remaining 1/2 cup cider in heavy small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Cool. Place sour cream in small bowl. Whisk in reduced cider. (Soup and cider cream can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
Bring soup to simmer. Mix in whipping cream. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with cider cream. Top with chives.




We had leftover turkey from a roast we did earlier in the week that I paired with spinach, fontina, caramelized shallots and challah.

yes, this bread makes me swoon


the perfect pair

Speaking of perfect pairs, if you follow me on facebook or twitter you already know that I bought into the hype and showed up on November 1st to get my mitts on Mitchell's Christmas Ale Gingersnap ice cream. 



I can't even begin to tell you how freaking good this stuff is! It tastes like Christmas. Christmas beer...with gingersnaps. What's not to love?











6 comments:

  1. That whole meal looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love your recipes! Now if I could only learn how to cook...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome dinner! We just made butterbut sqaush soup last night, with pears and curry. I want to try this recipe! Also used an immersion blender for ours...aren't they the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come over and eat at your house? My goodness this all sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes come over! And we will try CLEgal's version, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been dying to try that ice cream! Glad to hear it was delicious...I might run out and get some tonight! And that dinner looks ah-mazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...