Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Apple Galette And Fresh Fork Wks 20-22

I can't believe my first CSA season has already come to an end. I don't know what I ever did before Trevor Clatterbuck and his lovely Fresh Fork! We are eating a healthier, more diverse diet, supporting local farmers and really enjoying the convenience that they offer with our weekly bundle and the ability to pick things up at the back of the truck along with add-on orders (that you place on their website).

For the past two weeks we've received apples and I tried out this apple dish looking for something a bit lighter than the standard pie or crumble/crisp (since I make these quite frequently).

Apple-Maple Galette 

via health.com



Crust: see recipe here
Filling:
3 medium apples, peeled,cored, halved, and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 2 1/2cups)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • To make filling: Toss apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and flour.
Unwrap dough and place on 16-inch square of parchment paper. Roll into a 15-inch circle. Place dough and parchment on rimmed baking sheet; arrange apples in center, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edges in; press gently to seal. Dot apples with butter.
Whisk egg white and water together in a small bowl. Brush edge of dough with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Loosely cover with foil; bake 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes or until tender and golden.
Let stand 20 minutes. Brush apples with remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Cut into 8 wedges; serve.





This came out delicious and could be paired with vanilla bean ice cream. The maple had such a subtle flavor that I'll add a bit more when I make it next.


Fresh Fork WEEK 20

1 lb berkshire pork chops
1 lb ground pork
1 head cabbage
1 head cauliflower
2 bell peppers
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 bunch collard greens 

2 ct eggplant


WEEK 21
1 dz pasture raised chicken eggs
1 lb breakfast patties
3 lbs yukon gold potatoes
1.5 lb bag untoasted organic oats
1 bunch beets with tops
1 lb fingerling potatoes
3 lbs turnips
Quarter peck Melrose Apples



WEEK 22

1 quart farmstead yogurt
8 oz Mayfield Rd cheese (assorted)
1 head napa cabbage
1 quarter peck jonagold apples
1 bag of mixed salad/braising greens
2 ct butternut squash
1 pack Berkshire pork chops


This marks the end of my first CSA season. I was really pleased with everything we received and can't wait to see what's in store for the winter season (which has already sold out). I wanted to document the summer season since blog posts and facebook photos were a great help to me when I was deciding which CSA to join. Fresh Fork now has 10 pickup locations (in the summer) east, west and south. So sign up next summer, you'll be very happy you did.

2 comments:

  1. This was my first year with Fresh Fork and I really liked it too! I'm forever hooked on the Velvetview Yogurt. I love CSAs!! Nice posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm addicted to Velvetview yogurt too!!! What is it? If it's in the fridge I can't stop thinking about it! I never really even liked yogurt until I had theirs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...