Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weeknight Pizza & Fresh Fork Weeks 18-19

Can you believe this magnificent weather we're having? After all the early fall rain it's so nice to get outside and enjoy the gorgeous autumn views. A few extra days on the patio is just what we needed.

{via}

I can't believe my first CSA experience is winding down. I've really enjoyed the variety of what I received this season. I've been tracking it from the first week to give those of you who might be used to a traditional CSA a peek as to what we get from Fresh Fork. I love that I get not only produce but meats, eggs, cheeses, yogurt and other wonderful items like jams, honey and maple syrup (just to name a few).

This week we got pizza dough and the husband and I were thrilled because we're big on homemade pizza. I usually get my dough from Trader Joe's or Heinen's so I was interested in trying this one out. We also have so many awesome places to get carryout in our area, some local faves include:

Players - pollo pesto $17 (pesto, herbed grilled chicken, artichoke hearts and feta) with a bottle of red wine on the sofa.

Light Bistro - albondingas $11 (lamb meatballs, mint tomato sauce, mozzarella, provolone) perfect at the bar with a glass of happy hour wine

Angelo's - deluxe $18 (pepperoni, onion, mushroom, green pepper, sausage) this is the only traditional pizza I like in all of Cleveland. Get it deep dish and be prepared to fight over every last sausage.

Luxe - spiced lamb $16 see a theme here? (lamb, fresh tomato, spinach, red onion, goat cheese) paired with an Amrita cocktail or beer at happy hour where pizzas are 1/2 off. That's only $8!   :)

Here's the pizza we made this week:

not that pretty, but oh-so-delish!
The dough we received was from Frickaccio's at the West Side Market. Holy balls. This was the tastiest crust ever. I can't wait to buy more and just eat it plain!

We let the dough rise at room temperature and then rolled it out. Instead of sauce, we drizzled extra virgin olive oil, freshly grated parmesan and cracked black pepper. Then we topped with artichoke hearts, portobello mushrooms, berkshire bacon, red onion and goat cheese. I would have topped with arugula if I had some on-hand. Pop into a 400 degree oven for 13-15 minutes.

And here's the bounty from the past 2 weeks.

WEEK 18


1 lb ground italian sausage
1 pizza dough
1 bag heirloom corn chips
1 pint jar gourmet salsa
onion
2 lb sauce tomatoes
mozzarella
3 hot peppers


WEEK 19


half gallon apple cider
1/2 lb leaf spinach
1 bunch swiss chard
1 bunch leeks
1 head broccoli
4 oz brie
1 head kohlrabi
1 butternut squash
quarter peck bosc pears

What are your favorite pizzas?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Big Guys Pizza in Tremont. It's a traditional New York style, slices-as-big-as-your-head kind of place. Order a "Big Guy" (that's an X-tra Large), and they give you a half clove of roasted garlic in the center of your pizza! I'm not ashamed to say I can put away a small myself, in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...