Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sage Chicken Dumpling Soup & Chicken Mac & (Goat) Cheese


{via}


Happy October! I love all things fall (well, you know, except the rain) and with a high of 50 today, it's time to break out the comfort food. Both these recipes are sure to warm you up and use one of my favorite things - rotisserie chicken. Feel free to roast your own if you've got the time. But this week I was just not into all that prepping, so I went the easy route. I took the meat off one chicken, divided it up and used half for each recipe. Please note that the full recipes are listed below but I halved each one. This was more than enough to feed my husband and I, leaving enough for leftovers.


Sage Chicken Dumpling Soup


From the moment I saw this recipe I knew this would turn into a favorite. It's super easy to make and wonderful for lunch the next day. The dumplings were so delish that I made them with a beef stew later in the week. I omitted the olives and peas since the husband is not a fan of either. I think next time I'll add cubed squash or carrots. -Just for a change, although it was wonderful as-is


  • 2            cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1
    cup chopped onions
  • 1
    Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4
    cup all-purpose flour
  • 6
    cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1
    2- to 2-1/2-lb. deli-roasted chicken, skinned, boned, and cut in chunks
  • 2
    cups frozen peas
  • 1/2
    cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
  • 1
    Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1
    tsp. ground sage
  • 1
    recipe Buttermilk Dumplings

  •                Thinly sliced green onion (optional)

        Fried Sage Leaves (optional)


  • In 4-quart Dutch oven cook mushrooms and onions in hot oil over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes until liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour until combined. Add broth all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken, peas, olives, lemon juice, and sage. Return to boiling.
  • Prepare Buttermilk Dumpling dough; drop dough, 1/3 cup at a time, onto boiling soup. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. To serve sprinkle with green onion and Fried Sage Leaves.
  • Buttermilk Dumplings: Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder; 1/4 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir in 1/4 cup sliced green onions and 1 Tbsp. snipped (flat-leaf) Italian parsley. Add 1 cup buttermilk and 2 Tbsp. olive oil; stir until moistened
Fried Sage Leaves: Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add 8 sage sprigs, 2 at a time; cook until crisp, 30 to 60 seconds; drain. Makes 8 servings.




dumplings are almost done






      Lola Mac & Cheese - aka Michael Symon's amazing goat cheese, rosemary, chicken mac

      I will always call this Lola mac and cheese even though the spot is now Lolita and it's on the menu there. It was called Lola before Symon transformed it into Lolita and opened the Lola on E 4th St. This has been a go-to dish at our house ever since I got my mitts on his Live to Cook cookbook. I swear it's the easiest recipe to make ever! Again this is the original recipe which makes a ton of food. So I halved it using the remaining portion of chicken.

      Kosher salt
      1 lb dried rigatoni
      1 quart cream
      2 T fresh chopped rosemary
      8 oz goat cheese
      2 cups shredded roasted chicken


      Bring a pot of water to a boil (add enough salt so that it tastes seasoned). While it's heating, pour the cream into a large sauce pan, add the rosemary and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring it to a simmer, careful not to let it boil over.  Reduce the cream by about half.  Add the goat cheese and chicken and keep cooking it till the cream coats the back of a spoon.
      Cook the rigatoni till it's al dente, about ten minutes.  Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce.  Toss the pasta in the sauce till the sauce resumes a simmer, then serve
      I used the Lucky Penny goat cheese that I got from Fresh Fork.
      You can really use any hearty pasta shape. 

      5 comments:

      1. Oh my - I really think I am going to try to make that mac and cheese soon! It looks so good!

        ReplyDelete
      2. I've always wanted to make dumplings. this seems easy and tasty!

        ReplyDelete
      3. The first time I made the mac and cheese, I did exactly what MS said not to do. I let the cream boil over! I've been more careful every time since then. I love that recipe.

        I've always shied away from dumplings because they just taste like slimy lumps of dough. The ones I've always had were bland, I like the idea of using buttermilk though.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Love your description of dumplings Sarah "slimy lumps of dough!" I'm not a fan of this type of dumpling either but I know Ms. Smitten has pretty darn good taste in food so I might have to try them out. That mac 'n cheese is so good -one of my favs too.

          Delete
        2. hahaha! Thanks :)
          I think between the buttermilk and chives it keeps them tender and yummy. I like mine to be cooked and fluffy on the inside and covcered in sauce on the outside. Let me know what you think.

          Delete

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...