Friday, August 12, 2011

Fresh Fork WK 8-10 (Berkshire Pork, Apple Crisp & Blueberry Lemon Bread)

Oh my. I have been so bad at keeping up with my Fresh Fork updates! Sorry. The summer just seemed to get too busy and I even forgot to photograph a few weeks, not realizing it until later. Grrrr. So here's me trying to catch up.

WEEK 8

1 bunch multi-color swiss chard
1 pint maple syrup
1 lb Berkshire boneless pork chops 
1 quarter peck Lodi apples 
1.5 lbs cling peaches
1 candy onion
1 bunch mustard greens 
1 lb green beans
2 slicing cucumbers 

I'm so excited to try this maple syrup. I loooove maple syrup and a good grade is usually a bit expensive so I usually pick up a medium grade from Trader Joe's. I also have heard about Berkshire pork but never had it before. We eat alot of pork but usually in a tenderloin or roast form. I'm not a big fan of the chop, but these have completely changed my mind. Per Trevor from Fresh Fork -"animals raised exclusively for Fresh Fork by New Creation's Farm in Chardon, OH.  The pork is registered Berkshire pork, which is a heritage breed praised for its intramuscular marbling and dark pink meat color.  These animals have been raised outside in the woods at New Creations Farm where they forage for roots, nuts, and whatever they can find in the woods. The rest of their diet includes non-gmo grains, molasses, apples, garden scraps, and cheese products (the mistakes) from Mayfield Road Creamery and Middlefield Cheese Coop."  I can tell you this, it lives up to the hype!

I did manage to get a pic of the apples
The newsletter said they were best for baking...
...and they were. I made a hybrid apple pie/crisp using a pie crust
and this recipe from Martha. I ran out of regular oats so I ended up using
steel cut. Worked out perfectly.


WEEK 9
1 pkg Berkshire Mild Italian Sausage links, 4 to a pack
1.5 lbs apricots
1.5 lbs Red Haven peaches
1 dozen pasture raised chicken eggs
6 ears Mira 301 Super Sweet corn
1 candy onion
1 head leaf lettuce
1 lb green beans
1 bunch kale

Yay! More Berkshire pork! Links this time.

that were grilled...
then added to fresh spaghetti from Ohio City Pasta and
their Fine Herb Marinera. (which is amazing, btw, with chunks of
tomato, onion and herbs).


WEEK 10

1 lb mild Italian sausage, ground
8 oz grassfed Gouda cheese from Mayfield Road Creamery

1 bunch of leeks
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 quart of hot hungarian peppers (6-8)
3 Patty Pan Squash
1.5 lbs slicing tomatoes
1 pint blueberries
1.5 lb peaches 

seriously, if I see another peach...
But I did make a lovely blueberry lemon yogurt bread that was unbelievable. It was adapted from Miranda Lambert's raspberry lemon yogurt bread recipe in Self magazine. So easy!

lemon yogurt, eggs, butter, lemon zest and vanilla

flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt

berries and sugar

mix it all together
and bake

delish warm, but even better chilled. perfect for a hot summer
morning with coffee



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...