I'm no fan of the heat, personally, which is why you'll NEVER hear me complain about winter or the cold.
Here are some cooling cocktails to get you through the hot, hot week. It's especially nice to use fruit that's in season locally. These are great on the patio or while taking cover indoors.
|via Cupcakes & Cashmere|
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe peaches, divided
- 1/2 cup vodka or gin
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 2 peach slices
- Mix simple syrup, lemon juice, 1/4 cup peaches, and about 1/2 cup ice in a cocktail shaker. Using the end of a wooden spoon or muddler, muddle mixture until peaches start to break up. Pour in vodka, cover shaker with top and shake until blended.
- Divide unstrained mixture between 2 tall glasses. Add half the remaining chopped peaches to each, then fill glasses with ice. Top each glass with 1/4 cup club soda and garnish with a peach slice.
- (adapted from here)
Bourbon & Orange Smash
|via Real Simple|
- zest of 1 orange, peeled into strips and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar (preferably superfine)
- 1 tablespoon bitters
- 3 cups fresh orange juice
- 3 cups club soda
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon (12 ounces)
- In a large pitcher, using a wooden spoon or muddler, mash the orange zest with the sugar and bitters. Add the orange juice, club soda, and bourbon and stir to combine. Serve over ice.
|via Food & Wine|
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1 lime wedge
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 ounces gin
2 ounces chilled club soda
In a cocktail shaker, muddle 15 of the blueberries with the lime wedge and sugar. Add the gin and ice and shake well. Strain into a highball glass half-filled with ice, top with the club soda and garnish with the remaining blueberries.
Pomegranate Lime Fizz
|via Real Simple|
- 1 liter club soda
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice (I love POM's Pomegranate Nectarine)
- 1 1/2 cups vodka (12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, plus wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup Cointreau or Grand Mariner (2 ounces)
- In a large pitcher, mix together the club soda, pomegranate juice, vodka, lime juice, and triple sec. Serve over ice, garnished with the lime wedges.
- -Can be made ahead up to 6 hours in advance. Combine all ingredients except for club soda and chill. Add club soda right before serving.
Let's not forget my favorite all-time easy low cal cocktail....
For a twist on the original:
-Add a splash of pomegranate juice.
-Muddle in some watermelon or cucumber (before adding margarita)
-Muddle together blueberries and lime
-Add a splash of orange and some ginger