Tuesday, July 19, 2011

CND Shellac Review

{via}


When I first heard about OPI Axxium, CND Shellac and Nail Harmony Gelish, I was skeptical. What were these gel-soak off-hybrid polishes? I'm really picky and quite obsessive about my nails. Rarely has anyone seen me sans polish. I like them a certain length and as healthy as possible. No fakes here. I was unsure how these products went on (would there be excessive filing?) and how they came off (would my nail beds be damaged?) I waited, checking blogs for reviews to answer all my questions. Finally all were answered, and it WAS possible to get fantastic looking nails for at least 2 weeks with no damage to your natural nail. The trouble was, I saw many photos of nails looking thick, fake and bulbous. It takes a skilled manicurist to ensure even looking polish and they need to also do exactly the right prep in order for it to last with no peeling or chipping.

Unwilling to subject myself to be the guinea pig, I kept an eye out on who was getting this done. Finally my girlfriend came to work with the most gorgeous manicure. When she said it was Shellac I was over the moon! It was perfect. I immediately got the name of the salon and the manicurist and booked an appointment right away.

I headed over to see Sarah at Dep Nails in North Olmsted (440-979-1008). They are in the newer plaza along Brookpark right by Target. I was excited to see if this Shellac was going to be the polish of my dreams.  It was! For under $30 (including manicure) my nails were indestructable.

CND Shellac in Gotcha

Day 1
Day 7
Day 14
I am beyond excited. I use my nails for everything. Opening things, picking things up, washing, scrubbing, peeling labels off, cooking and cleaning - they withstood anything I got myself into. Even my husband noticed, saying it seemed I was always painting my nails before. Well, I was! (every few days)

So I happily went back to see Sarah. She is my manicure dream! I adore her.
I soaked my nails for about 5-10 mins and the polish slid right off. It was so weird to see! My nails were perfectly healthy underneath, with no discoloration or dryness. They were strong and long. She gave me another Shellac mani and this time I chose a brighter pink.

Hot Pop Pink - Day 1
Day 7
Day 14
I still can't believe my eyes! 2 weeks of polish! This would easily last 3-4 weeks but I'm super picky about my cuticles and get a little board after 2 weeks with the same color. (Did I mention they dry immediately? So feel free to put gloves on, grab your keys, or fish out your credit card.) My nails were ridiculously long underneath, so this would be great if you have trouble growing them out. I like mine shorter so a major filing was in store. This time I decided to switch brands and try the Gelish by Nail Harmony. Same process. Every coat gets cured for a minute or two under a UV light.

Gelish Pink Smoothie 
I haven't tried OPI's Axiuum. Even though they have some really great colors, I haven't heard any great reviews on it.

CND Shellac colors

original colors
newest colors
fall 2011 colors coming September

Nail Harmony Gelish colors


So run over to visit Sarah at Dep Nails. You'll be smitten!

9 comments:

  1. You got lucky, I didnt the same and it was a disaster! Ate my nails :( check out my review on OhioFashionista.com

    http://ohiofashionista.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-shellac-nail-polish.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read your bad experience! This is exactly why I was scared to try it. I'm glad I waited for someone to find a good manicurist so I didn't have to do the leg work. I hear it's all in the technique. My nails naturally peel quite a bit and there has been no peeling whatsoever with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:48:00 AM

    Thanks for the post.
    I have been wanting to try this out, but I had reservations. I think I might give it shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get these manicures all the time and love it too! Another great salon that does this in North Olmsted is at the corner of Lorain and Columbia in the drug mart shopping center (the name is escaping me for the moment). Mine last for 3 weeks each time and look great. Plus, like you said, they help me grow my nails because they will not break when this is on. It seems like all the bad reviews I have seen have been attributed to salons that do not apply this correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa! I totally agree. Even if it's a great salon, they might not be as well trained or skilled with this product. Thanks for the recommendation-I would only get this service done from a referral.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wondering about this forever. I almost bought a groupon for it and decided against it because I wasn't sure. I can't believe how incredible your nails look at day 14. I'm totally gonna do it. The colors you chose are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks! I'm hooked, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this post! thanks so much for all the lovely compliments! you explained it very well for those who don't understand shellac! you're so creative, i love reading your blogs! take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this nail system. I have had great success! I only use the base coat and the top coat, then I paint my own nail polish color on top! It lasts for 2 weeks. Never had anything bad happen. My nails are healthy! I also bought a different larger UV lamp that you can put 2 hands in. It works great

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...