Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bliss Box aka Birchbox

These days there's a new reason for my postman to hate me.  Along with all the catalog and magazine subscriptions, netflix movies and other random mail, he now has to tote along a little pink box.  Don't start feeling too bad for him.  It's not that big, about 5x7x2.  But this baby packs a lot of happiness.  It's Birchbox.



Birchbox is a monthly subscription of high-end couture beauty samples.  The ones usually only available at Sephora, Saks or in a free gift.  It's only $10 a month and I've now received four boxes.  I waited to review this to see what the consistency would be.  Would it be great one month and not the next?  Would they send me products I had no interest in?  Thankfully you can cancel your subscription anytime.  That way if you're disappointed you're not locked in.  I figured, $10 bucks a month?  Why not?

Here's what I've received in the last four months.  I have to say, some of these products have changed my beauty routine.  The samples range from quite large (think travel sizes) to packets.

Month 1 - October
Laura Mercier - Lip Glace in Opal (retails $22)
Deborah Lippmann - Stripper to go (2 packets) (retails $10 for 6 pk)
Perricone MD Cold Plasma - (retails $150/1oz)
ReBloom - beauty sleep drink (1 bottle) - (retails $27.95 for 6)

What I thought: Loved the Laura Mercier lip gloss.  Goes with everything and perfect feeling on lips.  I also liked the Lippmann polish remover.  It smelled wonderful and 1 packet could take off all polish on hands and toes.  Perfect for travel.  I tried the ReBloom and wasn't sure what to think.  It kind of tasted like a lavender energy drink.  Not overly impressed, but a cute idea.  No way I'd spend $30 for a weeks worth of sleep.

Month 2 - November
Nars The Multiple in SouthBeach  (retails $38)
Too Faced - Primed & Poreless face primer (retails $30)
Herban Essentials Towelettes - 1 lemon, 1 orange (retails $15/box of 20)
Benefit - Garden of Good and Eva, Lookin' to Rock Rita, So Hooked on Carmella fragrance samples (retails $36 each)
Also included: 1 black hair bungee (retails $10 for 8 in black, brown or blonde)

What I thought: The Herban Essentials towelettes smell wonderful and refreshing.  The perfect pick me up while travelling.  I didn't really know how to use a hair bungee.  I tried and my pony would fall and I got frustrated.  Reading my mind, Birchbox sent out an email with a video tutorial.  I get it now and have already ordered more!  Nars South Beach is my new holy grail product!  I just cannot possible express my love for this.  As I was trying to put this fabulosity into words, Product Girl did the review listed below, summing it up perfectly. 


Beauty VIP of the Week: NARS South Beach Multiple


NARS The Multiple’s are a necessary item in any woman’s makeup bag. I own many, but sadly, my poor South Beach somehow got relegated to the bottom of a bin and was ignored for months, or longer. Gasp! I made a vow to never let this happen again. Especially since I’ve pulled South Beach back into full-time service and have been sporting the most amazing winter glow possible.
South Beach is a bit of an enigma on my skin, which is why I love it. It manages to bronze without being “bronzy” and highlights simultaneously. The color looks bronzy in the stick, but it’s actually apricot in color. In fact, it reminds me of one of my favorite NARS powder blushes, Luster. My favorite way to use South Beach is by applying with a fluffy brush on the cheeks and the high planes of my face. If you have never tried it this way, you simply must. Go get your winter glow on!
(please visit the Product Girl site for more)

I cannot live without this product.  All my other highlighters and bronzers have now been moved to the back of the drawer. 

I apply this with EcoTools bronzing brush $11.99 @ Ulta

Month 3 - December
Blow - The heat is on - protective spray (retails $18)
Jouer - Luminizing Moisture Tint (retails $38)
Serge Lutens - L'Eau Fragrance (retails $105)
Stila - Lip Glaze in Kitten (retails $22)

What I thought: I became a huge fan of Blow's heat spray.  Having naturally curly hair that I beat into submission with hair drying, flat and curling irons, I've tried many protective products.  This one glides through hair leaving zero hold or buildup.  It's even great for restyling dry hair.  I've used Stila's kitten before and was quite surprised that they included a nearly full size tube.  It's the perfect peachy-golden gloss that really stays and looks great over a wide array of lipcolor.


Month 4 - January
Ahava Dermud Intensive Hand Creme (retails $28)
Dr Dennis Gross - Extra Strength Alpha Beta Peel (retails $35)
myfaceworks - I need to be firm - sheet mask (retails $55/6 masks)
Oscar Blandi - Olio di Jasmine hair serum (retails $35)
Zhena's Gypsy Tea - coconut chai black tea (retails $7.99/22 tea bags)

What I thought:  Ahava Dermudchai tea.  I had to try it.  I added a little honey and milk and this became the perfect after dinner treat.  I will definitely be repurchasing this!  I haven't tried the face mask yet, but they have different ones for all sorts of skin concerns.  You unfold the moist mask, place on your face and lie down for 15 minutes.  Then rinse off.  I'll update after I try this.  I also can't wait to try the Oscar Blandi hair serum.

Final thoughts:
Birchbox is a great treat if you love trying new beauty products.  The price is quite reasonable for the amount and quality you get.  This is also available as a gift subscription.  They have a great cancellation policy as long as you cancel before your next month's box ships.

Their website is really a treasure trove of useful information.  How-to videos, tutorials, ideas and advice.  They show you how to use every product you receive and have advice on everything beauty related.  I've learned quite a few new makeup tricks and a lot about the science of skincare and how skin behaves.

  
   




7 comments:

  1. Look at all of your goodies! I've never heard about this, I had to look up a hair bungee, so it holds your hair back pretty tight? I have a lot of hair, and would love for something like to work on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what it was either. And then I couldn't figure it out. Once I watched a tutorial, I got the hang of it and it can hold a ton of hair tightly! Now I don't know how I lived without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:30:00 AM

    I am so excited to get this little box of fun for myself and as a gift for my sister! Thanks for sharing the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh!! This is too much. I love it and am dying for it right now. I cannot wait to sign up. Thank you for the tip!! Weeeeehheee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Thanks for sharing this! I can't wait to sign up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bliss box aka bitch box. Read to now more

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...